- the name . . . . Chosen on a whim, in moments. This entire blog was first set up in five minutes, a practical offshoot of a post lamenting the passing of Peter Gregory's blog. But I think the name sounds too techie. Currently, I favor "New Carbondaley Dispatch" (or Carbondale Dispatch, without the "y") but am open to other suggestions. A practical advantage of that name is it gives this blog instant longevity, since the Dispatch just completed its fourth year of publication. I think this is important. It would make this blog one of the longest-running local blogs in the U.S.
- the content. . . . Should be local focus. The new format (using Drupal instead of Blogger) will permit easy categorization of posts. Suggested categories: Business, Academia (SIU), City Hall, Arts & Entertainment (includes Music), Local Schools, Local Organizations.
- the look. . . Drupal offers different "skins" for the blogs appearance. The current Blogger template is "Minima" and it looks it. ;-)
- the bloggers. . . . So far this blog has six people "signed on" . . . and a few more invitations have been sent out. Political ideology is not a factor; but independent (non-ideological) thinking is. Ideally, about 10 local bloggers will be chiming in weekly. . . . We shall see.
This blog is still a long way from where it should be. Your thoughts and suggestions are welcome. I will make the appropriate changes when I get back to town. The Drupal version should be "good to go" later in the week.
See you in th' e-hood.
* Besides being home to two of my cousins, Rabun County is also home to the Foxfire project.