Sunday, August 19, 2007

Dave's brain on blogs

An unpublished comment to my previous post "Night at the Park" states that my "brain is in my pants," which is a hoot, yet true, because my brain is focused on my wallet in my back pocket, where I have photos of some favorite people, like my grand-daughter (call me "Doodah") and my hero Ben Franklin, both of whom are pictured on my MySpace page, which gives another snapshot of where my head is at.

I think the commenter referred to my observation that a certain City Councilman's face lit up when he saw the Carbondale Chamber of Commerce director at last week's Miner's game. But she has that effect on everyone who meets her, 'cause she's beautiful and charismatic. And the Councilman had been imbibing, so he might have been having a beer-reverie.

Speaking of beer reveries, did you click on the photo of stadium vendor (below)? I couldn't resist his pitch (captured on video): PEAnuts, CrACKerjacks, Ahs Cold Bear. I bought a Budweiser Select from him, wondering what my friend, Mr. World Tour Beer Philosopher thinks of that beer. Have you checked out Shawn's blog? It's gone from down-home to world class in about a year or so. I remember when it was just me and him... ;-)

This weekend, I'm driving the Amtrak crew for my friends at Blue Star Lines. Pick up the engineer, conductor and LSA's at the station and drive them to the motel. Then pick 'em up the next morning, and take them back to the station. Interesting, the things I hear on these trips. Did you know the Cubs beat the Cards last night? ;-)

On Friday night, I joined a few of the crew at Show Me's. Have you been? It's like a cross between Hooters & Buffalo Wings, but smaller. It's one of a chain of midwest bar-restaurants. In Carbondale, it's located across the street from El Bajio on East Main. Can't recommend it, though: too loud and smoky, 'though the wings -- and breasts -- were magnificent. ;-)

One thing I CAN recommend, however, is the Carbondale Bytelife blog, where Scott Thorne is sticking to it, keeping us abreast of current thinking on the local sales tax and other local issues, with the help of commenters like D. Gorton. (Wonder what the D stands for.) Here's a trivia question: Whose hand is writing with a pen in the photo in the Bytelife header? Hint: local internet marketing whiz. The first person to correctly answer the question gets a complimentary blogging.

Have a great week.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

could it be Amy McMorrow (not sure on spelling)? Blog is very nicely done today. New twist to things!

Unknown said...

Hey Dave - Now that is a man who is enthusiastic about his beer ... or at least the peddling of it at 'ol Rent One Park. Entertaining stuff.

I'm not too big on Bud Select, really. If I'm gonna drink a pilsner, I'm gonna look for a lesser known (and certainly lesser distributed) one, like Schlafly's Pilsner. Excellent stuff and readily available in Carbondale! (Just not in Marion at the Miner's games, sadly.)

Thanks for ther kind words about the website - I don't know about world-class, but I'm trying. I am now torn between "generalizing" my content for a wider audience or keeping everything "hyper-local." Havne't hit on the balance just yet, but I'm having fun trying.

By the way, I'm glad to see you're still blogging here from time to time ... I'd miss it if you didn't.