Wednesday, February 06, 2008

The Heiress dumps on You-know-who!

As a rule, I don't publish comments that use one of George Carlin's 7 dirty words. Or negative statements without some glimmer of support. But "The Heiress" sez the phrase "Paducah-Carbondale Corridor" sounds like the lower portion of her intestinal track and "the idea to name anything after Colbert" is (hold your ears and nose, Bloggee) an 'equally shitty idea.' Ouch.

Of course, it is ridiculous to rename Carbondale You-know-what-dale. Yet the process is instructive, and leads to interesting byways. I'm guessing those who hate the idea do not watch the Colbert Report, or 'get it', if they do. Stephen's an acquired taste, but his speech at the White House Correspondents Dinner in 2006 won me over.

Now I see where he will be a special guest at a New Jersey theater gala, at $350-$500 a plate. How cool would it be for him to come to the 'Dale! Theater lovers hereabouts would gladly throw down $35 - $50 per plate to raise money for The Jackson County Stage Company, which will need thousands to refurbish the Varsity Theater.

In any event, "Please God Make It Stop" has upped the ante to $25 to stop writing about You-know-what-dale in this blog. He can donate it to The Stage Company.

So that's it, no more waiting for Colbert in this blog.

And the phrase "down the old Paducah-Carbondale Corridor" might take on a Munsonesque meaning as a silly idea that goes down the crapper.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bless you Dave! Not only will I make good on my promise, I'll send the Theater $50 and dedicate the gift in the name of the Carbondaley Dispatch. I will make sure you are notified so you can see that I am more than just an anonymous blog commenter, I am an anonymous blog commenter who keeps his word.

But, if you think this trick will work twice, think again!

Anonymous said...

They should tear down the theater and make it into a parking lot like they've done the rest of the strip in the last 20 years. Then the stage co can have "street theater" productions in the parking lot.

Thanks for stopping the nonsense, however I still believe Carbonghetto is a great name.